Our Gutermann Shirring Elastic is a lightweight elastic that is most commonly used in smocked and shirred clothing items!
Shirring elastic is sewn into the detailed areas of the fabric so that once released the elastic contracts to show a beautiful design feature.
– Smocking / Shirring Garments
Colour: Green (other colours available here)
Shirring Elastic – suggested uses:
1. Smocking: Wind shirring elastic by hand onto a sewing machine bobbing keeping an even tension as you do (do not stretch the elastic). Use a regular sewing thread in the needle, increase stitch length to 4-5 and stitch parallel rows of straight stitch, anchoring stitching at both ends. As you increase the rows, so the shirring looks more effective. Steam press.
2. Strengthening Cuffs and Welts in Knitwear: Thread through the ribbing of the hem or cuff of a knitted garment to give the rib more or renew the elasticity.
3. Gathering Fabrics: Lay a length of shirring elastic along the seam line, anchoring it in place at the start and then zig zag stitch over it, without catching the elastic. Pull up the elastic to gather the the fabric quickly and easily.
– For an even stitch, reduce the tension slightly in both the bobbin holder and the upper thread
– If the shirring elastic unwinds too easily, try winding it using your machine’s bobbin winder!
– Warm machine wash
– 40 degrees
– Do not bleach, iron, dry clean
– Warm tumble dry
– Avoid direct sunlight